Friday, January 4, 2013

College Auditions


I can't believe that it is already January, the fall went way too fast, and I assume that the rest of the school year will go by even faster. So far, I have applied to four colleges and I have already auditioned at one. It was a couple weeks ago, but it was super stressful. It was at Westminster Choir College, and it was at eight in the morning on a really cold day. I had to get up at five and leave at six so I could get there in time. When I got there I was really tired and I didn't really feel like singing, but I had to. I waited in the waiting room for a while until they called me to warm up. After that, I had to walk to my audition room and get ready to sing. They eventually called me into my audition room. It was a really small room that was dimly lit. It had a baby grand piano in the corner. There were three judges, who were all on the voice faculty there, and there was also a pianist. Initially, I was sort of shocked that the room was so small and dark, I had expected it to be somewhat big and brightly lit, like most music rooms, so the room sort of threw me off of my game. The judges then asked me to only sing one song out of the two that I had selected, and that was another thing that surprised me. I chose my most difficult song, but I was afraid that my voice might crack on a high note since it was so early in the morning. I went through the song and at the point that I thought my voice would crack, it did. I was super shocked because that had never happened to me before, and I didn’t really sing the song as well as I could have. I was super stressed out the next couple days because I thought that they wouldn’t accept me. A couple of weeks after the audition, a big letter came in the mail from them, and it was an acceptance letter, they also gave me a sixteen- thousand dollar scholarship! This auditioning stuff really stresses me out, but it usually turns out fine. Unfortunately, I have to do it all again tomorrow at the University of Delaware. Hopefully this one will be less stressful than my first!

No comments:

Post a Comment